Friday, June 30, 2006

Please join with me in mourning the passing of Mr. Fred Thieme.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he dies that distinguish one man from another".
-- Ernest Hemingway

Ladies and gentlemen, we have lost a Crestwood Resident this past week to cancer, a truly fine Gentleman, and a friend to many in Ward 1. I had only met Fred two times, once when I ran for Alderman, and once after the election. Both times he came across as a God fearing Gentleman who could be counted on to tell you the truth, and give sage advice when asked for it.

I understand that Fred has a daughter from Kansas City who is in town, and I pray that she will take up where I leave off, and give us all some insight into the true gentleman I knew for such a short time.


Tom Ford

No. 176

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your article about Fred Thieme. I knew Fred well, he was diagnosed on May 12, 2006 and died June 22, 2006. This was indeed shocking because Fred was well and happy and optomistic about life. His daughter, Penny, came to St. Louis immediately upon finding out her dad's diagnosis and stayed with him tirelessly until the end. In addition to the sadness we feel at this loss, a haunting thought keeps reoccuring to me. Why so much cancer here on Trelane Ave? Is it just a natural occurance as our lives are literally filled with polution of every kind or is there an underlying cause such as is suggested by what the tanks contain that still lie under the soil near the City Hall and Swim Club? I hope we are not asleep at the wheel. I guess we won't know until our children start becoming ill.

4:39 PM, July 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>